Grants for Families

Home / Grants for Families

There are many charities, grants, and trusts available who can support individuals with the additional costs that living with a disability brings.  FOP Friends is not a grant-making charity and is not able to offer financial support to individuals or families.  However, we have compiled a list of some sources of funding as a starting point for people.

Please take some time to check the eligibility for the grant before you apply.  You may also need to apply to more than one funder in order to secure the money required.

The links take you to external websites.  We have provided these links in good faith.  However, we cannot accept any liability for the content of external websites.

You are strongly advised to check the suitability of these sites before you provide any personal, medical, or financial information.

The Harold & Elaine Kaplan Quality of L.I.F.E Awards

This Award is the only grant that is available exclusively to those living with FOP.  It is available to those living in the UK.  It is granted by a committee, facilitated by the IFOPA.  Anyone with a confirmed diagnosis is welcome to apply.  There are two application cycles per year.

Every person with FOP is entitled to a grant of $1,800, with the recipient deciding if they want to use the grant all at once, or in smaller increments across a number of years.

For more information about what the L.I.F.E Award can be used for, and how to apply, visit the IFOPA’s website: Living Independently with Full Equality.

UK Government Disabled Facilities Grants

You could get a grant from your council if you’re disabled and need to make changes to your home, for example to:

* widen doors and install ramps

* improve access to rooms and facilities – eg stairlifts or a downstairs bathroom

* provide a heating system suitable for your needs

* adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use

Click here to learn more:


Foundations is the National Body for Disabled Facilities Grant and Home Improvement Agencies in England.  They are contracted by the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities to oversee a national network of nearly 200 home improvement agencies (HIAs) and handyperson providers across the country.

Before commencing any building works, visit their website for specialist advice and guidance.  Most of which is provided free of charge.


Scottish Government: Independent Living Fund

ILF Scotland was established in July 2015 following the UK Government’s closure of the UK ILF, to safeguard the rights of disabled people in Scotland to live independent lives.  The fund enables disabled people with high support needs to choose to live in their communities.

ILF Transition Fund

The ILF Transition Fund is focused on supporting young disabled people, aged between 16 to 25, who are at an important transitional stage in their lives. It aims to promote independence, community participation, social inclusion and confidence amongst young disabled people, improving outcomes to help make a smoother transition from childhood into adulthood.

Find out more at: ILF Scotland

Shelter: Cymru

If you have a disability and cannot get around your property, or use all the facilities, it may be possible to get adaptations carried out to make your home more suitable for you.

Whether you rent or own your own home, you might be able to get help for any adaptations through the ENABLE – Support for Independent Living scheme, supported by the Welsh Government.


Housing Executive Northern Ireland

They provide a Disabled Facilities Grant to adapt the home of a person with a disability.  An Occupational Therapist must recommend the work.

Based on an Occupational Therapist’s report, they will determine:

* what work you need to carry out; and

* the amount of grant aid we will award

Find out more: Housing Executive Northern Ireland

Contact for Families with disabled children 

Contact has excellent advice and guidance for all aspects of supporting a child with a disability.  Visit their website:

Or click here for a downloadable resource library:

Independence at Home

Independence at Home supports people of all ages living at home with a disability or long term illness.  They provide small grants for people who need financial help towards the cost of improving someone’s independence, comfort, safety, and quality of life at home.

For more information, visit:

Carers Trust

The Carers Trust has a list of grants available to those in a caring role.

For further information and help regarding how to apply for a grant, the Carers Trust has some guidance here:

Many tourist attractions will allow the carer of a disabled person to visit for free.  Click here to learn more:

Lightning Reach

“Lightning Reach is a one-stop online grants portal transforming how people in financial hardship access support. The portal is free to use for individuals seeking support and referral agencies.  It enables individuals in financial hardship to find and apply for support across multiple providers, quickly, easily and securely.

If you’re struggling financially and need help with money, you may be eligible to apply for financial support such as grants, local schemes and discounted tariffs.

The secure Lightning Reach portal allows you to find and apply for support from multiple providers, quickly and easily.”



WellChild is a national charity that supports sick children.  They have a list of grants and alternative sources of funding for specific requests.  Visit their website for further information:

They also offer garden and bedroom makeovers:

Disability Grants

A website offering further grants, suitable for both adults and children with a disability. 

Strongbones Children’s Charitable Trust

Strongbones have been helping families and disabled children with complex needs alongside scoliosis, spina bifida, brittle bone disease or any other bone condition.  Applicants must be under the age of 21.  Their grant scheme for individuals is only available for disability equipment, manual wheelchairs, smart home technology, supportive seating and trikes.  Up to 70% of the cost may be awarded.

Apply for a grant